Thursday, February 21, 2008

Next cupcake?

I'm sitting on a fence about the next cupcake. I was thinking lemon, the weather has been wonky in Baltimore all week, 72 on Monday and 17 today. I feel the need for citrus. (a little lemon zest counts, right?) But then I wandered into a nest of Asian, Indian, Mexican markets that I didn’t realize were in my area. I have a huge fascination with the taste and textures of different ingredients; the international markets fuel my curiosity (and I must admit, intimidate me.) Among the things I procured, was a pound of powdered coconut milk and have no idea what to do with it. “It” needs a purpose. I briefly googled some recipes to find a suitable use. My searches turned up a more savory bent; nothing piqued my interest. But then I was re-visiting February's Bon Appetite the other night (while watching Project Runway, don’t judge) and voila a coconut cupcake recipe using powered coconut milk. A good starting point, at least I have the ratios for the dry ingredients. This particular recipe also calls for whole-wheat pastry flour. I'm not so much a fan of whole-wheat flour for baking, I have bad luck/bad results, not sure which, but everything tends to be dry. I'm hesitant. My current plan is to “monkey” with it a bit. I’ll let you know what happens.

No comments: