Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Reading and eating

It's magazine time. Cooking Light has a good article on umami, the fifth sense after salty, sweet, bitter, sour is savory. A quick google for umami + desserts points me to various chocolate and coconut recipes. Humm... umami may be in the taste bud of the beholder?

I also picked up a copy of Good magazine an issue dedicated to food. And in an accidental juxtaposition I also picked up Clean Eating. Good news, we are going down the clean eating path, naturally, without a magazine - no fast food, very little prepackaged food, lots of whole grains and veggies. Although I can't embrace the recipe for gluten free brownies.... potato starch, agave nectar, and fava bean flour...the lack of butter in the ingredient list concerns me. Street Eats around the world in Good was much more appetizing. Does Baltimore have street eats? Other than an occasional hot dog or taco truck? Maybe that's my cupcake niche!

Oh, the things we learn.

No comments: