Monday, July 21, 2008

Cupcake 37 - Maple Walnut Cupcake



I mentioned I got a new oven, very recently. My techy husband is enamored with the digital control panel, not that he cooks, but he likes the "wow factor." From a purely visual standpoint, I'll give him the cool factor. The whole control panel "R2-D2" functionality didn't kick-in until this weekend. My old oven ran hot and in an effort to prevent tragedy, I set the timer to the shortest amount of time, check, add a few more minutes, check and repeat. On the new space-age oven, the "on/off" bake button is next to the timer "on/off" button. Do you see where this is going? The first batch of cupcakes would not bake, seems I was turning the oven off instead of the timer.... after 30 minutes I realized the oven was off, cooling quickly and my cupcakes were still liquid in the middle. I attempted to reheat the oven and finish baking, this didn't work so much. Dry and hard are not characteristics you look for in a cupcake. I started over, which finished off the half bottle of lovely organic amber maple syrup I was saving for another day.


With appropriate baking time, this batch was remarkably better, good maple flavor, thanks to the Canadians and their syrup, and very moist. I tried both maple and ginger frosting on the maple cupcakes and thought the ginger worked nicely, a good contrast.


Maple Walnut Cupcakes
(makes 20-24 cupcakes)

3/4 c unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 c raw sugar
1/2 c maple syrup
1 t vanilla extract
3 eggs, at room temperature
2 c AP flour
2 1/2 t baking powder
1 t salt
1/4 c whole milk
1/2 c chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350. Line wells of cupcake pan with liners.

Sift flour, baking powder and salt in bowl, set aside.

In bowl of standing mixer, cream butter until light. Add sugar and beat 3-4 minutes on high. Add eggs, one at time. Mix well. Add syrup and vanilla, mix until smooth. Add flour alternating with milk. Beat well. Fold in walnuts.

Fill cupcake pan 2/3 full, bake 20-22 minutes. Cool on wire rack.

Maple & Ginger Creamcheese Frosting

3/4 c unsalted butter at room temperature
8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
4 c powdered sugar, sifted
pinch of salt
1/2 t vanilla

Cream butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy, add salt, mix well. Add powdered sugar in 1 cup increments, mixing well. Add vanilla. Whip on high speed 4-5 minutes. Divide batter in half. In first half add 3 T Maple Syrup, beat well. In other half add 1 t ground ginger, beat well.

No comments: