Sunday, September 14, 2008

Cupcake 46 - Tropical Storm - Guava, Coconut, Macadamia Nut Cupcake with Guava Buttercream




I entered into this weeks' cupcake without the slightest idea of what I was going to bake. Earlier in the week I was thinking fig, the whole fig thing was turning complicated so I moved on. I've mentioned my stockpile of "inspirational" ingredients waiting for a call to action. This week I turned to my pantry for help. The guava paste caught my eye, I like the odd shape of the can, but no experience with guavas. I also grabbed some coconut milk, guava nectar and macadamia nuts. I picked up a fresh guava at the market too.

Cupcakes - to your favorite vanilla cupcake recipe add the following, substituting the coconut milk and guava nectar for the liquid in the recipe.

1 c chopped macadamia nuts
1 c peeled and chopped guava, blotted with paper towel to remove most moisture
1/2 c coconut milk
1/2 c guava nectar

Frosting
1/2 c mashed guava paste
2 T guava nectar
1 c butter, room temperature
3 1/2 c powder sugar
pinch of salt

Combine butter and guava paste in bowl of standing mixer. Mix on medium speed until well combined. Add salt and first of three increments of powdered sugar, mixing well between additions. Add guava nectar and beat on high for 4 minutes.

No comments: