Monday, December 8, 2008

Cupcake 55 - Minty Chocolate Cupcakes with cool Mint Buttercream



I came out of Thanksgiving dissatisfied with my cooking. Nothing was a complete disaster, but not wonderful either. My stuffing (or is it dressing?) was not up to par, I tried some new seasonings and they fell short, a little too much sage, maybe? I tried a carrot souffle for the first time, meh. And my pumpkin pie, my- tried- and- true- always- works-so- I'll- make- two- this- time, pumpkin pie needed a little more time in the oven and less sugar. My head was in the game, really. I didn't have a lot of "funky fresh" recipes on my list to derail me. I stayed with the usual suspects, but overall my sides were lack-luster.

Because I was unhappy with Turkey day, I wanted to linger a bit longer on the pumpkin theme. And I really love pumpkin. Alas, the retailers are pushing hard to make Christmas front and center. Yesterday's paper must have had 3# of ads! Every magazine I pulled out of the mailbox promised 50+ recipes for cookies. Reluctantly, I stepped away from my beloved pumpkin and moved onto a chocolate & mint theme. Not sure why those two ingredients speak to Christmas, but they do. I was hoping this batch of cupcakes would turn my cooking mojo around. Maybe put a little fa-la-la-la into my lagging holiday spirit. The did, sorta, but not entirely. I'd back off the baking time a little next time, I found the cupcakes to be a little dry. I liked the mint to chocolate ratio, not too subtle but not so bold you think you are eating toothpaste either.

Minty Chocolate Cupcakes

1/2 c butter, room temperature
1 c sugar
1/2 c raw sugar
4 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped melted, cooled
4 eggs, room temperature
2 t mint extract
1 c chocolate milk
3 c flour
2 t baking soda
1 c mini chocolate chips
1/2 t salt
1 c Andes bits

Combine flour, baking soda and salt, set aside. In bowl of standing mixed combine butter and sugars, beat well, add eggs one at time, mixing well between additions. Add mint extract. Add flour and chocolate milk in three additions, mixing well. Stir in chocolate chips and Andes bits. Fill lined cupcake pans 3/4 full, bake at 350, 14-18 minutes. Cool on wire rack.

Mint Buttercream
1 c butter, room temperature
3 C sifted powder sugar
pinch of salt
2 t mint extract
3 T cream

Cream butter, salt and mint extract until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar in 3 increments, mixing well each time. Add cream until frosting reaches desired consistency. Whip on high for three minutes. Add a drop or two of green food coloring if desired. (its the holidays, go ahead!)

No comments: