Thursday, April 3, 2008

Dinner out - Woodberry Kitchen


I usually don't post much about restaurants, sure we eat out, but I just don't get around to posting. This seems worthy. Three weeks ago I made reservations at Woodberry Kitchen. I wanted to explore the hype for myself. And three weeks out, I couldn't get 7 pm reservations, it was either 6 or 9:30. I chose 6, knowing by 9:30 they would be running late and we would be starving.

For anyone unfamiliar Woodberry Kitchen it is a Gjeride operation. Several years ago, they were "Baltimore food" with Joy America in the American Visionary Art Museum, Spike and Charlie's across from the Meyerhoff and Atlantic in Canton. Sadly all three have closed. Woodberry is stellar, even better than my memory of the others. In the Gjerde's prime, I was feeling that they were stretched a little thin with three restaurants. Woodberry is getting undivided attention and it feels like Gjerde's only child. Housed in The Mill Center, a newly developed property outside of Hampden and its cool. Kinda old meets new with exposed brick, steel beams, "deconstructed construction" with loft condos and modern townhouses being built around the Mill.

We were seated promptly at 6. The dining room was not full, but busy. The wait staff was knowledgeable, friendly and professional. The aps range from popcorn to pate and the menu continues down the same meandering path. We both started with a salad, Rob fennel and me a spinach & cheddar, a special of day. Both very fresh. My spinach could have used a little more punch in the vinaigrette, however the cheddar was local and very sharp, in a good way. I opted for a flat bread with more cheddar, pears and rocket, Rob had the hanger steak, two different levels of food, both show cased the local theme. By 7, the main dining room and bar were packed, service slowed down a bit. Our waiter had several larger parties his attention waned. But its Saturday night, I get it, busy is good.

Desert worked with the rest of the menu. I sampled the homemade ice-cream, Cardamon-beet, Burnt Orange and Lemon Mint Tea The flavor combinations made me happy, the cardamon beet was much more spice than veg. The Burnt Orange was just that, sorbet-like and refreshing. The lemon mint tea, tasted only of vanilla, maybe the kitchen got mixed up? Rob had the apple toffee something-another with a garnish the size of a dinner plate. He wished the apple tart was warm, and also wished his coffee had showed up with dessert. But it was all good in the end.

Overall the food was good, not outstanding, but good. The variety on the menu would bring me back, maybe try small plates on a less busy night. Maybe on the patio in the summer. And definitely revisit the wine list. The service was attentive, but atmosphere was exceptional. The total experience was good. And maybe that's what I'm looking for. Not to sound cocky, but I can cook/create an outstanding meal at home, but the total package plays into the overall experience.

No comments: