Monday, June 2, 2008

Cupcake 29 - Pomegranate Grapefruit Rickey



I didn't bake last week, took the week off after doing some a lot of painting at home. I went into the week looking forward the weekends' cupcake. I was missing the weekly routine. Early in the week I decided on my cupcake, but then kept changing my mind, again and again. By Friday I was semi-close to doing something "Sex and the City" related, maybe a Cosmopolitan cupcake? But then I backed off. Too trendy? Intimidated by the need to be couture-like? Is the Cosmo "last-year"? Was I afraid of being associated with the less than stellar movie reviews floating in the media on Friday? Not sure what was going on in my head, best to keep Carrie and Big out of the kitchen. By Sunday morning, when I settled into baking I had no idea what I was doing. Not the ideal way to enter into baking.

Pomegranate Grapefruit Rickey with some blueberries thrown in to up the antioxidant factor. (Blueberries and pomegranates - big antioxidants, right?) Over all, not loving it so much. I chose to use pomegranate juice instead of pomegranate molasses, wanted to keep it light. The juice did not give the punch of flavor I was looking for. And the color, not the deep red I had hoped for, more timid, but not pink timid. And, I couldn't detect a trace of grapefruit in the cake either, I wanted some zippy- tartness. To up the ante in the frosting, along with grapefruit zest and juice I added grapefruit oil hoping to achieve a punch of grapefruity-ness. Not so much. I saw this cupcake as more of a side-dish, not a meal or maybe a token desert to a really great meal. Forgettable.

For next week, I know what I'm doing and I'm sticking to my plan. We will see if the results follow.

Mint Syrup

1/2 c sugar
1/2 c water
1/4 c (good handful) mint, chopped

In a small sauce pan, bring sugar, water and mint to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Store in the refrigerator.

Pomegranate Grapefruit Cupcakes

1 1/2 sticks butter, unsalted, room temperature
1 1/8 C sugar
3 large eggs, separated
2 1/4 C AP flour
2 1/2 t baking powder
3/4 t baking soda
3/4 t salt
1/2 C Grapefruit juice
1/2 C Pomegranate juice
2 T grapefruit zest
2 t lime zest
1/2 C blueberries

Preheat oven to 350. Line two 12 cup cupcake pan with liners.

Beat egg whites until they form stiff peaks, set aside. In separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In bowl of standing mixer cream butter until light and fluffy, add sugar and beat well. Add egg yolks one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add dry ingredients in three increments alternating with juices. Mix well with each addition. Fold egg whites into creamed mixture. Gently add blueberries, be careful not to crush.

Fill each cupcake well 3/4 full. Bake 18-24 minutes. Cool on wire rack.

Grapefruit Frosting

1/2 c butter, room temp
1/2 c Crisco (I know, I know, but it was terribly hot yesterday and I feared the buttercream would melt without a little help)
4 1/4 c powdered sugar, sifted
1 T grapefruit zest
2 T fresh grapefruit juice
1/2 t grapefruit oil

Cream butter and Crisco (I know...) until light and fluffy. Add zest and grapefruit oil, nmext well. Add powdered suger 1 cup at a time, mixing well. Add juice and beat until desired thickness. Turn up mixer and mix for 4-5 minutes until light and fluffy.

To assemble, after cupcakes have cooled, poke holes in tops of cupcakes with wooden skewer. Brush tops with mint syrup. Frost with grapefruit frosting.

No comments: