Sunday, August 10, 2008

Cupcake 41 - Peaches and Herb



Peaches are plentiful this time of year and I thought they would make an interesting cupcake flavor. Fearful that peaches alone would not give enough flavor, I opted to roast the peaches much like the bananas a couple weeks ago. The sugars caramelize to enhance the flavor, in addition, I simmered peach nectar to a thick syrup which added another layer of flavor. A tablespoon of fresh thyme worked well with the peaches. And it made me giggle every time I said "Peaches and Herb" when anyone asked about the flavor of the week. After several very off-key rounds of "Reunited" Rob forced me to move on. I may have to dig out my cassette....


I used a standard yellow cupcake recipe and replaced most of the liquid with
1 c sour cream
1/4 c oil
1 c roasted peach (cut peach in half, remove pit, roast at 350 with cut sides down, 30-40 minutes, cool, peel and puree with hand blender)
3/4 c peach nectar, reduced to 1/4 c by simmering

No comments: