Friday, August 22, 2008

Cupcake 42 - Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes



Me: Promise you won't talk to her today.

Hubby: You know I can't promise you that. I work with her, I have to talk to her.

Me: Well, make sure its only work stuff, 'kay? Keep it all business. And quick.

Hubby: Really, how's that going to work?

Me, starting to whine: I don't know, but don't look her in the eye then.

Hubby: You're just being crazy, now. I have to work with her, we are going to interact.

Me: Well then, just say no!

Hubby: I can't, it would be rude.

My husband's coworker has a garden. She has a bountiful crop of zucchini this year, well every year. She keeps bringing them into work and handing them out, like condoms on a Baltimore Street corner. Rob can't turn the zucchini down. I don't have as much use for zucchini. It's a "filler" vegetable in my mind, used to stretch more expensive vegetables. Truth be told I ate way too much of it when I worked at the airport in 80's. One of the perks of my college employment was free meals, and I'm not complaining, but airport food and zucchini used in the same thought never nets out with anything good!

In an effort to use these babies up, this week its Zucchini Cupcakes. I went chocolate, so no one mentioned zucchini bread and even more to hide the green taste of the veggie.

Chocolate and Zucchini Cupcake

Makes 24 cupcakes

1 ½ c brown sugar
¼ c melted butter
¾ c vegetable oil
3 eggs, room temperature
1 t vanilla
½ c buttermilk
2 c grated zucchini
1 c chocolate chips
2 c AP flour
1 c coca
½ t salt
2 t baking soda
1 t allspice
1 ½ t cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350. Line 24 muffin tins with liners, set aside.

Sift together flour, coca, salt, baking soda, allspice and cinnamon. In bowl of standing mixer, beat butter, oil and sugar. Stir in buttermilk and vanilla. Add zucchini and chocolate chips. Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients, mix to incorporate.

Fill cupcake wells ¾ full, bake 20-22 minutes. Do not over bake. Cool on wire rack.

Vanilla Glaze
1 ½ c confectioners sugar
2 T cream
½ roasted chopped pistachios

Shift confectioners sugar into medium bowl, add cream stirring until smooth. Dollop scant 1 tablespoon onto each cupcake, sprinkle with nuts.



No comments: