Thursday, January 8, 2009

Are you a pusher or a puller?

Interesting article in today's Ad Age, grocery shoppers have been divided into two groups - either pushing the card through the line or getting ahead of the cart and pulling . I'm a puller, for sure. I like to keep things moving. And I like to keep things organized on the check out belt. (don't want my dryer sheets mingling with my leeks! God knows the 12 year old cashier has all he can do to find the code for Boston lettuce and finagle my eco-savvy bags.) I guess too, I'm a little compulsive when I place my things on the belt, I group them, neatly - helps me do a quick inventory and spot anything I've missed. (Not to worry, I'm not one to sprint out of line in search of canned beets leaving the everyone in limbo.) More than anything else, pulling the cart through tricks me into thinking the line is moving, therefore I'm progressing toward the door.

I'm not in the minority, it seems 74% of grocery shoppers are pullers. Looks like someone needs to pay a little more attention to the pullers, give us a little more opportunity for impulse purchases. The pullers are not noticing the ice-melt or Styrofoam coolers in the front of the store. We are seeing the wide array of mints and tabloids. Hummm.... maybe that's why this bowl of mints occupies the corner of my desk?



No comments: