Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Cupcake 66 - Carrot, Cardamom, Cashew

I admit it, I judge. I judge a restaurant by looking at the menu, a quick scan of the apps and dessert, I make my call. A dessert menu of cheesecake and carrot cake seems just a little too safe. If the dessert menu is built on the trio of cheesecake, carrot cake and anything with chocolate and lava. I'll pass. Don't get me wrong, I like carrot cake. It's just tired (if it's comfort food for you, I'm sorry.) No one ever challenges the status quo of the carrot cake - cinnamon, walnuts, cream cheese frosting. Cheesecake is at least a blank canvas for the "want to be" creatives - throw in some candy, or fruit, a little booze. Make the crust out any cookie scrap that's in the jar, finish it off with a drizzle of something, and voila–dessert. I don't agree that it all works, but at least its out there, an effort is made. Not so much with carrot cake. I don't see a Carrot Cake Factory at every mega mall. No one ever challenges the carrot cake.

Here's a bit of twist on the "tried and true." Thank you Garrett from Vanilla Garlic.

Carrot, Cardamom, Cashew



Makes 2 Dozen



1 c cashews, chopped, toasted
1 pound of carrots, grated
3 large eggs
1/2 c buttermilk
1 t vanilla
2 c sugar
1 c vegetable oil
3 c AP flour
1 t baking soda
2 t baking powder
1 t salt
2 t cardamom
1 t cinnamon

Preheat the oven for 350.

Mix the carrots, milk, oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla, together and whisk. 5) In another bowl mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spice together. 6) Fold the flour mixture into the carrot mixture. Then fold in the cashews. 7) Scoop into cupcake papers and bake for 19-21 minutes at 350. Place on a wire rack to cool.

Spiced Bourbon Frosting
8 ounces of cream cheese
2 cups of powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon of cardamom
1 teaspoon of bourbon

Whip the cream cheese for 3 minutes at high speed. Add the bourbon and cardamom and whip another minute. Add the powdered sugar and whip for 5 minutes. Spread onto cooled cupcakes.

No comments: